Saturday, August 15, 2009

No love for Espresso Love

Today we simulated a half Ironman. Me, Nico and Pete planned to start off with a nice bomb dive at seven this morning. But there was a sign that said "No bombing" so we had to rethink that one.

Anyway. After 1.9 km in the pool we did an ultra long transition (by car) to Lennox Garden to meet up with some Exceed people for the normal Saturday bunch ride. It was a hilly one today. 90 km that included Mt Condor and Coppins Crossing made it's mark on the legs.

Getting of the bike I was feeling a tired and sore. And I really thought my legs might fail me.
As I started running i felt really good! The body stretching out, getting back into it's natural movement. But sure, I was a little tired after the ride and the swim so I figured I crack open a gel after about 7 k. BIG mistake.
I never had anything do something even remotely as horrible to my inside. First the pain, then the feeling of ... eh ... feeling sick. My eyes were franticly scanning for a toilet by now.
To my great relief I remembered one would be coming up shortly so I just clenched my teeth and soon arrived at my sanctuary. Back on track a minuet or so later I was thinking that hey, this might turn out to be a nice run after all. How wrong I was.
Maybe 3 k later tears were filling up my eyes. And I knew there were no salvation to be found for at least another 10 k. I had no choice. If the bears can do it, so can I.
Catching up to Pete for to the second time I was starting to feel slightly drained ...

As I reached the other side of the lake my intestines were begging me to just be put out of their misery. Dehydration was an understatement and it was just no fun anymore. A third pit stop at the yacht club (and a minute hunched over the drinking fountain) made me feel in control of my body enough to make it back to the parking.

And who names an energy gel Espresso Love anyway?!



2 comments:

  1. Finally find your path to the Ironman and it sounds like its going..eh..good? I can not imagine how your body would feel like efter this espresso-gel..Coffe use to have that effect (so Ive heard).

    I feel like a sloppy couch-tubby reading about your training not understanding every words and condensations you are using.

    But you guys are so cool for doing this and we are cheering you on from the other side :)

    Sta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, stackars dig. Knäppt med espresso i gelen, borde inte kolhydraterna vara nog för att få upp energin? ;-)
    Jag & Daniel är i Annecy och hälsar på familjen Snygg, vi ska hajka idag. Stor kram från Tina.

    ReplyDelete