Saturday, August 8, 2009

Just a small piece of plastic


Started riding at even this morning (or a few minutes after do my dear partners great distress). Teamed up with the rest of the Exeed bunch at eight and headed out on the highway towards Lake George. As we turned off onto the old highway, about 45 km into our ride, it finally happened.
I put my half eaten Vegemite sandwich back in my pocket and clicked in my right shoe, started rolling, put my left foot on the pedal, pushed and ... nothing. I turned the pedals a couple of times and pushed, jumped on the pedal. Nada. My left foot remained free as a bird.
15 min later, after some violent assistance and 175 really bad words in french I gave up. The cleat under my left shoe was dead.
And I must admit, just by looking at it, it has been on life support for quite some time and I have been denying the inevitable.

A limp Swede and a cursing Frenchman turned around, headed back to Canberra and the nearest bike store. Thank you Lonsdale St Cyclery for letting me by new cleats with just 25 bucks, a smile and a promise to come back tomorrow. And thanks for screwing it on.

A new left cleat, 40 km and a little run later normality was restored. There is however a Giant OCR2 on sale. Not that the bike had anything to do with todays mishap but in the midst of cursing failing equipment there was a promise of an overall hardware upgrade ...


No comments:

Post a Comment