Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The test run is done


Keeping myself (and anyone trying to sleep within 100 m) awake coughing like a chain smoker the three days leading up to the race may not have been the best preparation. The day before the race I still wasn't sure if I would be able to swim without drowning myself in one final big cough attack. I didn't. I might have been completely lost during 1.9 km but I didn't drown.

The ride was fun since I was catching a whole lot of people who managed to get out of the water way ahead of me. I was trying to follow the coaches instructions for nutrition. 1 gel every hour, a drink of sports drink every 15 min. I also had half a Vegemite sandwich, more as practice for the Big Race than anything else. And I must say that Vegemite is a very nice contrast to all the sugar in the gels and drinks.

Two laps of a fairly hilly course went past without hassle and since I kept pacing my self for the double distance, without any pain.

As I came off the bike I felt good. No stiffness in either back or legs.
The Half Ironman run course in Port is three laps. You get a yellow scrunchie on your arm after the first lap, an orange after the second. Starting the run, meeting people with ribbons around their arms already isn't good for morals. And to be honest, running three laps (without my iPod!) is a bit boring. But I picked a comfortable pace and kept it, possibly picking up some speed along the way. With one exception, one the last lap I suddenly had my "ride nemesis" in sight. No 172 passed me maybe five times on the bike. Now she was going down! After passing her I felt so pleased with myself that I smiled all the way across the finish line.

The lady putting the towel across my shoulders first asked me if I was ok, I told here that "sure I'm fine" then she had another look at me and gave me a great compliment " Darl' (and yes, it is normal to call a perfect stranger Darling in Australia) you almost make this look too easy!" I should have told here "thanks Honey" but I just gave her a big grin.

5:42 is not a great time for a Half Ironman, but it is ok. Next time I try this distance I will try to find out if I can push it under 5. This was training and I was back on the program on tuesday. Recovery will be in December.

A special thanks to Wil at Velo Republic who tuned my bike to perfection.

And. Of course. Thanks to the best support crew and photographer - Mr Nicolas Remires.


2 comments:

  1. Darl, you did great! :)
    Härligt att se att du lyckas med ett soft leende dessutom på slutdistansen.

    /Impad som alltid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would take 5:45 anyday!
    Congrats and being sick too..that takes guts!

    ReplyDelete